Friday, January 13, 2012

Changed Lives


That's a biiiig belly and some big ole swollen legs!



This picture means so much to me. It's the moment of just Jerry and me as a family. Moments before our babies came into this world. We knew, without a doubt that we were about to experience a love that we had never known. We knew that our life would be forever changed. I have to admit, having twins especially..it was a bittersweet moment. On one hand, you're so completely excited that you're about to bring babies into this world and on the other hand, you know things are about to change between the two of you so drastically! I was also pretty upset that I hadn't been able to see my doggies {that I wasn't able to say my official warning/goodbye to before delivery} in a few days because, I was admitted to the hospital a few days before. Although I was extremely excited about welcoming Trent and Lila into this world, it is somewhat scary when you're welcoming two. We knew everything would be fine and we had a lot of helpers that we could count on. Just the normal anxiety of having a baby, I guess. Oh, and I was pretty much scared crapless about getting a catheter and IV. I had never had either one of those things. I'm not normally an easily stressed person but, I was scared. I got an IV in my hand which did hurt like crap. I'm not a big fan but, I did survive. I swear, that hurt worse than the spinal and the healing of the c-section.

I remember my Mom came in the morning before I was whisked away to the surgery room. She brought us a card that was sweet and when I was leaving the room I started crying like a baby! I'm sure those nurses thought I was overly hormonal, haha....oh, and I was! I remember being rolled into the surgery room and Jerry had to wait out in the waiting area while I got my spinal. I was still crying like a baby and said "I love you!" which was probably close to inaudible, haha. They rolled me on in and the nurses {and whoever else was in there!} were so nice and comforting. The Anesthesiologist was really good too. I barely felt the spinal and that thing kicked in within in a second! They had me throw my legs back on the table and they did the catheter then {thank you sweet baby Jesus!} So, I felt nothing! A few minutes later, Jerry was able to come back in and things got started. I had some maaaajor nausea from the spinal meds, so first they had me smell an alcohol pad {which helped with mild nausea} and then she finally had to shoot me with something to get it to go away because I was about to hurl. Jerry was so sweet holding my little alcohol pad though until I was sure I wasn't going to be sick. That would really stink {literally} getting sick while having your c-section. Ugh.

Trent came right out. He must have been ready to escape from Lila! She was probably trying to ride him like a horse like she does now. When Trent was coming out, I didn't feel anything. No pressure, no pulling, nothing. When they were trying to get stubborn little Lila out, I felt some pressure...nothing like I imagined and nothing painful. She finally came on out and we had two perfect little babies in basically two minutes! I got to see both of them and Jerry got to finish cutting their cords. He held Lila and Trent got sent to the nursery to get some oxygen because he wasn't turning pink fast enough. They said it was pretty common and not to worry. They probably say that to everyone. They did keep assuring me that he was fine and it wasn't anything serious, at all. I trusted them and really wasn't that worried. I wanted to see him, of course...but, they are professionals and know what they're doing.

We were back in our hospital room 30 minutes after surgery started. Lila was able to come back to the room with us. Jerry carried her from the surgery room to our room. She probably loved all the extra attention! :) Jerry and I wanted to have some alone time with the babies before everyone came in that was in the waiting room. After trying to breastfeed Lila, we waited and waited and Trent was still getting oxygen, so everyone just came on in to see Lila. Pretty sure everyone fell in love right away! :) Several people had already seen Trent from the nursery window and the nurses had apparently given a thumbs up to them so, we knew everything was ok. He was finally able to come to our room. I insisted on holding him first, of course...he was so little. Two whole pounds smaller than Lila. I remember everyone being there that morning to see them. I had to eat crackers and jello. After everyone left, I tried breastfeeding Trent. He wasn't a big fan of latching. I remember Mary coming by and I could hardly talk to her because I was feeling so nauseous. I had to call the nurse and she gave me some meds that pretty much put me to sleep and we had a REQUIRED nap time {which I kind of regret now} for what seemed like all day! We missed so many sweet friends that came by to visit. Pretty much the rest of the day was a total blur. I remember holding them and trying to breastfeed some more. I remember Patti and Nancy coming by that evening after work but, everything else just sort of blurred by. Busy day, I guess..right? The next day or so was mostly focused on trying to breastfeed and healing up from my surgery. We were able to go home right on schedule and in time for Thanksgiving! Thank goodness! 

It really doesn't seem like it was over a year ago. I really don't miss those early days. They were good babies and I still don't miss it. We are so thankful that we are able to experience life with these adorable little babies. They're the two best gifts we've ever received. I'm pretty sure they're the absolute cutest, most precious kids around! :)


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment